Folate, RBC Folate and Vitamin B12
Serum Folate provides an early index of Folate status in the body while RBC Folate indicates long-term status of Folate storage in the body.
No Fasting required.
In 24 hours following blood collection.
1. Vitamin B 12 level
2. Serum Folate level
3. RBC Folate level
1. As part of work up for anemia in individuals with low hemoglobin
2. Individuals with symptoms concerning for Vitamin B12 or Folate deficiency
3. Pregnant women
4. Anyone taking supplementation and wanting to know their levels.
5. Anyone taking the prescription drug Metformin for 5 or more years should have Vitamin B12 checked annually
6. If you have had gastric bypass surgery, abdominal surgery, chronic diarrhea, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, or any chronic illness that affects absorption of food and vitamins, you maybe continuously at risk of Vitamin B12 and Folate deficiency
7. Dialysis patients are continously at risk of depeting their water solube vitamins unless they are taking a multivitamin with folate.